Sunday, March 1, 2009

Weekend Thaw/Freeze

The weather has been fairly cooperative up north with up to 66" of snow at Jay Peak a few weeks ago before the mini thaw happened on Friday with a few showers, and warm temps. The northern slopes are stacked with snow - Sugarloaf reporting a 95" base. I ventured up north to NH after happy hour on Friday night following my spin class - which I gave them a full hour of fun -- where I was happy to have some homemade chocolate cake and chocolate frosting! The occasion? My 31st birthday of course which quickly went as fast as it came.















Driving up to NH in some rain and 50 degree temps were ingredients for disaster knowing that a blast of arctic air was to move in from Canada and take a strong grip on the mountains. Wet snow followed by sub 20 degree high temps usually translates into "stay home because the mountain will be a sheet/block of ice. Having slept on the floor of my friends house in my sleeping bag Friday night -- don't ask, I woke up at 6am and walked outside to see what the snow has done.... sure enough it was frozen. With a changing forecast and no snow expected up north, I whipped up some real french toast using a french baguette, fresh eggs from the farm down the road, and milk that my friend's friend milked himself! I couldn't stop there and whipped up the best fluffy scramble eggs I have ever tasted!! Sorry I didn't have time to take a picture.

I left NH and drove back to MA while the weather was warmer and skies were clear. It was time to grab the mountain bike and head out on the road for 2 or 3 hours out into Concord/Carlisle area before retreating back home. It's time to start getting in shape for the bike season and since I am now 31, I am ALMOST at my prime. The last 2 years were great but the next 10 will be better!

Oh I ventured out of the house and saw Slumdog Millionaire last night after being told by everyone to see it, which was really fantastic. Great film and amazing footage. I highly recommend! This morning I woke up, ate some oatmeal and hit the gym to take a Spinning class and see some old friends that I don't normally see on the weekend. Rode the bike for 2 hours and lifted for about an hour to cap off my morning, and quickly retreated to Russo's for some food!

I hope everyone's weekend was great and eventful. HEAVY snow in the forecast tonight and tomorrow with 15" expected here. Translation: no school but I will be on the road and you can count on me being at your house.

Bye for now!

No comments: